Dental Exams & Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Whether your dental needs are a complete exam and cleaning, a full-mouth restoration, or anything in between, we promise to provide you with exceptional care as we enhance the natural beauty of your smile. Below are just some of the many procedures and services we regularly provide to our patients – with a gentle touch and stunning results. Your smile is our first priority, and we’ll give you something to smile about.
Meet the Doctors
Dr. French Moore III, DDS
Dr. Moore was born and raised in Abingdon, Virginia. He earned his B.S. in Biology from James Madison University and his D.D.S. from the Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry in Richmond in 1982. Upon graduation, he married Laura, the love of his life, and moved to Germany to serve three years...read more
Dr. Stuart Lee Laningham, DDS
Dr. Laningham grew up in Lee County, Virginia on the farm that has been home to six generations of his family. Upon graduation from high school, he attended the College of William & Mary, then transferred to the University of Virginia, where he received his Bachelor’s in Biology and graduated with honors...read more
Dr. Benjamin Mavelil, DDS
Dr. Mavelil was born and raised in Dubai. He was born to Indian first-generation immigrants and has two brothers. He moved to India after high school to pursue dentistry. He completed 5 years of dental training and went on to complete a residency in Orthodontics...read more